Is it Spring Yet?

Monday, January 28, 2008


Well, I know it is still January (just), but I am certainly ready for Spring. With the piece I am working on, which has the theme of "butterflies", it is hard not to think about beautiful Spring days; warm breezes, the smell of cut grass and flowers blooming, birds singing, and everything turning green....ahhhhh.

I have made a little more progress on my block. I want the piece to look like a garden as a whole with the butterflies flitting to and fro from flower to flower. But, as I mentioned before, I don't want it to be too busy so I am trying to take my time and decide on the flower placements carefully. The butterflies will be added last.

I enjoyed perusing a lot of blogs this morning - the creativity and fun spirit of people is encouraging and always brings a smile to my face. Creative souls love to share their art and all of us like to find the commonality or, what of ourselves, is in others' art. It seems to bring us a sense of connection and comfort, at least it does for me.

Busy couple of days today and tomorrow. We took our dog, Emma, the Great Pyr, for her allergy shot. Yeah, living here on the coast, everyone, including dogs have trouble with allergies. She is a big girl - she weighed in at 110 adorable pounds today and wasn't the least bit concerned about it. I also made my trip to the courthouse to sign up for Defensive Driving because of the speeding ticket I got. I have never had to do this before and considered it quite the walk of shame just having to appear at the courthouse. I think the last ticket I got was over 25 years ago. My DH went with me, bless his heart - he knows how nervous I get with this kind of stuff. Then there is Bible Study Fellowship tonight and Sewing Bee tomorrow. Bible Study is always a delight and Sewing Bee is too. The hardest thing about Sewing Bee is deciding what to take to work on and bringing "JUST" those supplies. I tend to pull from every nook and cranny in my sewing studio when I create, so not bringing my whole room is hard for me.

The mail came and with it nice things (yeah well, with a couple of bills in there too), but it is always fun to get something other than a bill. Today, Quilting Arts came which I always enjoy reading. I like to read about people's techniques and methods on how they created such diverse pieces. Although I may never make something like is shown, their techniques or methods can usually be applied to something I do. I also received this beautiful Journal, entitled Creativity is Key. I purchased it from Sue Bleiweiss's Etsy Shop. I love Sue's work and have taken a couple of online classes from her through Joggles, which I thoroughly enjoyed. She provides great instructions and lots of projects for her techniques. She has also begun the online magazine, Fibre And Stitch. I just had to have an original piece from this artist so that I could enjoy it up close and personal. Sue works with fibers, papers, and fabrics. This piece will bring me a lot of joy for sure - it is as wonderful as I thought it would be. Here is a picture of the front and of the inside. It has three different signatures added to the inside and even has pockets with tags and a centerpiece that has wonderful quotations on creativity. She makes some of her own papers she includes in her journals. . . just beautiful!
My devotional today, from Our Daily Bread, was one to encourage me to fellowship with Christ joyfully and often. Spiritual victory comes only to those who are prepared for the battle. This is something I need to be reminded of a LOT. It is so easy to let the day and its "busy"ness get on its way without my stopping to fellowship with Christ. When I do fellowship with Christ before starting my day, my day is so much more peaceful and filled with joy. You would think that knowing that would make it easier to do, but, alas, no. There are so many things that tempt me away from it, even basically good things. It is a discipline I hope to instill day-by-day; practice, practice, practice.

1 comments:

Judith said...

Dear Jules, your blog is such a joy to read and I love the way you bring your daily reading and walk with the Lord into it. It is food for my soul. I just had to laugh though as I was reading this entry. I read SueB Blog also and as soon as I saw the journal with the key I hopped right over to her etsy site to see if it was for sale and saw that it was sold. How wonderful that you bought it, we must think alike. I am so tickled that you have it.
Lots of hugs
Judith

 
Creative Blessings of "J O Y" - by Templates para novo blogger